Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mystery movie "Town on Trial" with John Mills

The 1957 British film, “Town on Trial,” starts with a visually-stunning series of quick shots, setting up the story in about 60 seconds, and ends with a sweaty-palm, acrophobia-inducing climax. It fills in the middle with a good mystery, told in a smooth, cinematic style by director John Guillermin.

A town is shocked by the murder of a gorgeous young woman, but the people close ranks against police investigators, revealing little for fear their reputations and that of their town will be marred.

A detective superintendent, played by a strong John Mills, is sent in to crack the case. He tramples all niceties and gets right to the point with the residents and especially with his prime suspects, peeling away the protective armor people placed around their less-than-upright lives.

This fast-moving, black and white movie has the feel of the great films made in post-war England, and, under Guillermin ’s guidance, feels modern with its intense performances and constantly moving camera.

For more about this film, please see (here) the review my friend Sergio posted a few years ago on his blog, Tipping My Fedora.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words Elgin - the film is good, criminal fun. To me is slightly runs out of steam before the cliff-hanger end but well above average, I quite agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio – Criminal fun is a good way to put it. I enjoyed this one and hope others get a chance to see it.

      Delete
  2. Elgin, I haven't seen a lot of mystery and crime movies from this period but this one's worth checking out, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant – This movie is definitely worth a look.

      Delete
  3. Elgin, I do like John Mills as an actor, not that I've seen too much of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elgin, thanks for sending me the link to this film.

    ReplyDelete